- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (3-pound) boneless chuck roast or beef brisket
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, minced
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
—Recipe by Tracey Ceurvels, a food writer in New York City.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add meat and cook until brown on all sides. Transfer meat to a plate. Drain fat, reserving 1 tablespoon.
- Add onion, carrots, bell pepper and mushrooms to Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add meat and simmer, covered, until meat is tender, about 3 hours. Turn meat over halfway through cooking time.
- Transfer meat to a cutting board. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with vegetables and juice.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: