- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose four
- 1 -- (14-ounce) can less-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 -- (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 cups cooked fresh or frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups (6-ounces) cubed, cooked boneless chicken breast
- 2 cups cooked broad noodles (2 cups uncooked)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 425F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- Whisk milk and flour in a large bowl until flour dissolves. Whisk in broth, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion and red pepper; cook, mixing occasionally, 7 minutes or until mushrooms are brown and tender. Whisk sauce again and add to pan. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Remove from heat; add corn, chicken, noodles and parsley, mix to combine. Transfer to baking dish.
- Place breadcrumbs in a medium bowl. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter; add to crumbs and toss with a fork to combine. Sprinkle evenly over casserole. Bake 12 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
Recipe by Jean Kressy.