- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon strong brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- -- Unsweetened whipped cream
- -- Strawberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine cream, milk, coffee and vanilla in a saucepan. Heat to just under a boil. Place chocolate in a glass mixing bowl. Pour cream mixture over chocolate; whisk until chocolate is melted and evenly mixed throughout.
- Vigorously whisk egg yolks with sugar and salt.
- Add 1 cup of chocolate mixture to egg yolk mixture; whisk until all traces of yolk disappear. Add this back to remaining chocolate mixture; whisk until smooth and well incorporated.
- Pour into 8 (4- to 6-ounce) ramekins. Cover ramekins tightly with foil and place in baking dish. Pour water in baking dish to come halfway up the sides of ramekins to create a water bath. Bake 30 to 40 minutes.
- Uncover and cool. Chill 5 hours. Serve with whipped cream and strawberries, if desired.
Recipe by Nancy Vienneau.