- Cooking spray
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground dried ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- Dash of salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon (generous) mild honey or light corn syrup
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat an 8-inch square pan with cooking spray.
- To prepare cake, beat egg and brown sugar together in a medium bowl; add molasses, butter, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt.
- Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda (there’s no need to sift). Add to egg mixture and whisk in boiling water. The batter will be quite thin.
- Pour into pan, and bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool at least 20 minutes in the pan before serving. Serve in bowls with warm Lemon-Orange Sauce.
- To prepare sauce, combine granulated and brown sugars with cornstarch. Whisk in juices or mix well using your fingers. Transfer to a small nonreactive saucepan.
- Place over medium heat. Whisk in lemon and orange rind, salt, butter, honey and water. Bring to a boil; cook 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick and translucent. Serve warm with gingerbread.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: