- 4 tablespoons butter, plus extra to coat souffle dish
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 cups (8-ounces) shredded Comté cheese
- 4 eggs, separated
Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly coat the bottom and sides of a 2-quart soufflé dish with butter.
Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly to blend. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring, until thickened. Add cheese; stir until melted. Remove from heat. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time. Cool.
Beat egg whites until stiff and smooth. Blend a dollop of whites into the cheese mixture to lighten it. With a rubber spatula, gently fold cheese mixture into remaining egg whites, using an up-and-down, circular motion, until only a few white streaks remain.
Spoon into soufflé dish and bake 35 to 40 minutes. Serve immediately
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: