- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 small turnip, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, stems removed
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Recipe by Chef Jon Ashton
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until browned. Remove beef from pan; discard drippings.
- Add olive oil to pan. Add onions and sauté until they begin to caramelize, about 5 minutes. Add carrots and turnip, and cook 5 minutes.
- Add beef, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Stir in ﬂour. Add broth, wine and tomato paste. Stir well. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- While beef mixture is simmering, prepare potatoes. Place potatoes in a medium saucepan. Cover with cold water and place over high heat. Cook until potatoes are tender, but not mushy, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well in a colander and return potatoes to pan. Add butter. Mash with a fork, potato masher or hand mixer. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Transfer beef mixture to a large baking dish. Spread potato mixture evenly over the top. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: