- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 5 pasteurized egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 to 3 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, cut into shavings (slivers) (optional)
Recipe by Greg Patent.
- Combine sugar and water in a small heavy saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover and cook 3 minutes. Uncover and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until temperature of the syrup registers 230F.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate. Stir with a whisk until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth.
- Beat egg yolks with a mixer at high speed about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Add cooled chocolate mixture, vanilla and salt. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- In another bowl, using clean beaters, whip cream on medium speed until soft peaks form (do not overbeat). Fold into chocolate mixture. Spoon into wine glasses or goblets and cover each glass tightly with foil. Freeze overnight or up to 4 days.
- To serve, let stand at room temperature 15 to 20 minutes. Remove foil and garnish with chocolate shavings if desired.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: