- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled, diced
- 3 habaneros, diced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, minced
- Vegetable oil
- 2 quarts seafood stock
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 pound crab meat
- Sauté the onion, carrots, habaneros and cilantro in oil in a soup pan until very tender. Puree the mixture and return to the pan.
- Add the seafood stock, lime juice, sherry, cumin, garlic, and pepper and bring to a hard boil. Boil for 10 to 12 minutes or longer, adding water if the mixture boils away.
- Add the cream and bring to a simmer.
- Mix the flour and butter into a smooth, thick paste. Add to the soup. Whisk until well incorporated. Cook, stirring, until the soup thickens.
- At this point you can add the crab meat and heat through. Or chill the soup and reheat later, adding the crab before serving. Makes about 1 gallon of soup.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: