- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons, vegetable oil, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro
Recipe by Jean Kressy.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeno; cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes or until onion is softened and starting to brown. Add tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper; simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 7 to 10 minutes or until sauce is lightly thickened and reduced to about 1 1/2 cups. Cover and keep warm over very low heat.
- Preheat oven to 200F. Brush tortillas on both sides with remaining oil. Warm a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add tortillas, one at a time, and cook 30 to 60 seconds on each side or until golden brown in spots. Wrap in foil and place in oven to keep warm.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add eggs and fry 1 minute or until whites are partially set; cover and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until eggs are set. Place a tortilla on each of 4 warmed plates; top each with a fried egg and some of the sauce; sprinkle with cheese and cilantro.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: