- 3 medium eggplants, peeled, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices (about 6 slices per eggplant)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb mix
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 1 cup shredded parmesan or Asiago cheese
- 5 cups favorite marinara sauce
- 8 fresh basil leaves, whole
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Place eggplant slices on a large pan or platter, rub with olive oil, then garlic, Italian herbs, salt and pepper. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat a large nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat. Spray pan with oil and sauté eggplant slices until lightly brown on both sides.
- Spoon 1/2 cup marinara into a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish. Top with about 6 eggplant slices, 6 cheese slices and a few basil leaves. Top with 1 1/2 cups sauce and repeat layering, ending with sauce and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes until surface is golden brown.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: