- 2 pounds pork shoulder or pork loin
- -- Vegetable oil, for browning
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 -- onion, quartered
- 6 to 8 fresh sage leaves
- 1 bunch fresh thyme sprigs
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons teaspoons salt
- Heat a large, deep cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add a little oil. When hot, add pork and cook about 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Drain excess oil.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook, uncovered, 2 hours. Turn meat over halfway through cooking. The meat is cooked when tender, but not falling apart. Serve with Fava Been Purée, Caramelized Cipollini and Vegetable Ragout.
Recipe by Chef Ryan Scott for the California Milk Advisory Board.