- 1 1/2 cups (10-ounces) uncooked orzo
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium summer squash (1 pound total), quartered lenghtwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 -- (14 1/2-ounce) can diced, peeled tomatoes or 1 3/4 cups diced, peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried herbes de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups (7-ounces) shredded fonina cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 3-quart baking dish.
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add squash and carrots; cook, mixing occasionally, 9 minutes or until squash is browned in spots and nearly tender.
- Transfer vegetables to bowl with orzo; add undrained tomatoes, feta, parsley, herbes de Provence, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Spoon half the pasta into baking dish. Sprinkle with half the fontina. Top with remaining pasta and fontina. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes or until cheese melts and casserole is hot.
Recipe by Jean Kressy.