- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/3 cups canned pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 4 1/4 teaspoons water, about
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts
- To prepare cake, preheat oven to 325F. Coat a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with baking spray.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt onto a piece of wax paper.
- Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in pumpkin (will look curdled.) Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Turn to low speed; gradually add flour mixture and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into pan, smooth top and bake 1 hour 20 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan and finish cooling on rack.
- To prepare glaze, beat powdered sugar and water to make a thick glaze, adding a few drops more water if necessary. Spread over top of cake and sprinkle nuts in strip down center.
—Recipe by Jean Kressy