- 4 or 5 very ripe tomatoes (about 2½ pounds), blanched, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic (or 4 if you are Spanish)
- 3 or 4 slices day-old French bread (1/2-inch), soaked in water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 to 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- pinch ground cumin
- Croutons (optional)
Recipe courtesy of Martin Booe.
- Reserve some chopped tomato, onion and cucumber for garnish. Place remaining tomatoes, onion, cucumber, bell pepper, garlic and bread in a blender or food processor in batches.
- Purée until smooth. If a thinner consistency is desired, omit bread or add small amounts of water and blend further. Add salt, oil, vinegar and cumin. Chill.
- Serve with croutons, if using, and garnish with reserved tomato, onion and cucumber.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: