- 1/2 cup whole milk, heated to 110F to 115F
- 1 package active dry yeast (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 ounces finely shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 14 tablespoons (1 3/4) sticks softened unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 ounces finely grated Gruyère cheese or other cheese
- Combine milk, yeast and sugar and let stand until yeast is softened, about 10 minutes.
- Combine flour, cheese, salt, eggs, butter, yeast mixture and sour cream in a large bowl. Mix on low speed until dough comes together. Beat on medium speed 1 to 2 minutes. The dough should be smooth and not sticky.
- Roll dough 1⁄2-inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Make a shallow cross-hatched pattern with the point of a sharp knife over the top of the dough and brush with egg yolk. Sprinkle cheese on top, and cut out rounds with a 1- to 1 1⁄2-inch cutter.
- Arrange circles in rows on a parchment-lined baking sheet, about 1⁄4-inch apart. Put pan in a cold oven and set temperature to 400F. Bake about 25 minutes, until pogácsa are nicely browned on their tops and bottoms. Let cool completely and store airtight. Pogácsa may also be frozen up to 1 month. Thaw and reheat at 225F for 20 minutes.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: