- 1 pound dried black beans, soaked overnight and rinsed clean
- 1 red onion
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoon chopped garlic (for minced, use a little less or just crush 2 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile pepper
- 1 to 2 cup beef or chicken broth
- 2 to 3 bay leaves
- 1 to 2 teaspoon cumin
- Cover dried beans and red onion in water. Add salt to taste. Bring to a boil and reduce immediately to a low simmer.
- Cook for 45 mins to an hour. Add olive oil, garlic, vinegar, orange juice, lime juice, red chile pepper, and broth. Cook 30-45 minutes.
- Add bay leaves and cumin and simmer another 30 minutes or so, or until beans are tender and thick, but not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- These are even better the next day. If you prefer the taste of cilantro taste to bay leaf, try this trick: At the point of adding the bay leaf, instead take a handful of cilantro (2-3 tablespoons worth) and place in the center of a 4-inch square of cheesecloth. Knot the cloth to completely secure and drop in the simmering pot. As with the bay leaf, simple discard before serving.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: