- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 ounces country ham, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 ounces shredded Comté, Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- 2 ounces shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh kale
For more dinner recipes under 400 calories and with less than 20 grams of fat, check out our FREE 25 Dinners on a Diet Recipe Collection for the iPad on iTunes.
- Combine first 6 ingredients (oil through garlic) in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Sauté until browned, about 10 minutes. Add rice; sauté 2 minutes.
- Add broth and water. Simmer until rice is done, about 40 minutes.
- Combine flour with 2 cups milk, whisk well. Add to soup. Add remaining milk. Cook until soup is thickened, about 15 minutes. Add cheeses, salt and pepper; cook 5 minutes. Add kale; cook 5 minutes.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: